Bluecrest Wellness makes high-quality comprehensive health screening a viable option for all employees – not just a perk for the few. As a result, programmes of health awareness and screening become a genuine factor in transforming wellbeing and enhancing business performance. Bluecrest provides comprehensive screenings (involving more than 50 individual tests) at employer offices as well as 1,700 clinic locations around the UK. It runs around 52,000 screens each year.
Bluecrest was selected by Capita, the UK’s leading provider of business process management and integrated professional support service solutions, to replace an existing screening provider – but also to transform attitudes, awareness and take-up of health screening benefits.
The Health & Body ‘MOT’ engagement campaign included roadshow events at key locations, giving employees the opportunity to take part in mini-checks and challenges; this was backed up by regular email communications, campaign web site (www.capitahealthscreens.com), competitions and more traditional paper-based collateral in offices.
Rather than a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach, Capita staff are given options of packages to suit age and gender for their MOT; access to a free and 24/7 private GP helpline; and detailed, jargon-free health reports professionally printed and also available online. This report can also synchronise with health apps.
What did you want the project/initiative/product to achieve?
The core objective of the Capita initiative was to improve take up and motivate more staff to select a health screen as part of their flexible benefits option than they had in previous years. New UK research has shown that employees typically spend an average of 11 minutes each year in making choices about their flexible benefits options. Capita wanted to ensure its people were more aware of the health and wellbeing issues and opportunities involved, the importance of early detection – and of not being one of the many ‘unworried’ but unwell.
More specifically, Bluecrest was set the challenge of:
- providing a range of screening options suited to different employee groups (age, gender, family background);
- easy access to screening locations across the UK;
- delivering enhanced communications, levels of awareness and understanding;
- ensuring the full context of a health screen was understood in terms of enhanced convenience, locations and value for money over previous options;
- encouraging greater reflection among staff on the fundamental relevance and advantages to themselves and the business of a preventative body MOT to identify the early signs of issues that can be fixed;
- developing interest among employees in their personal health and wellbeing in general.
Lee Gruskin, Principal Consultant (Health Management) at Capita, said: “The work with Bluecrest has been important to the business in terms of health awareness and better management of any health risks which could have a detrimental effect on the organisation. Also, it’s an important employee engagement tool. We can offer a service through Bluecrest that they can’t get from the NHS, or that some employee groups wouldn’t normally be able to afford.”
“The sheer diversity of employees, in terms of roles and geographical locations around the UK, creates challenges for benefits provision at Capita. Go to any major city or town in the UK and you’ll find a Capita office somewhere. We needed a partner able to deliver high-quality health screening for anyone, at any level of earnings, and at many locations across the UK. The traditional competitors can’t do this. We also needed to get the message across more effectively. Bluecrest understood all of our needs immediately, and had the flexibility and access to the latest tests and technology, as well as being able to get directly involved with promoting the offering, be on the ground meeting people and talking them through.”
What have the results been compared to your aims and objectives?
Capita staff were first introduced to the Bluecrest Wellness offering and given the opportunity to make their selections in December 2015. The campaign has led to immediate impact:
- a sharp increase in engagement: as a result of the four week health promotion and roadshow events in November/December 2015, 882 Capita employees actively signed themselves up to be part of the ongoing communications and reminders around health and wellbeing, an increase in engagement among employees of more than 200%;
- more employees signing up for the health screening benefit as an option than ever before: a 17% increase in uptake (in 2014-2015, 382 employees selected a health screening benefit, which has immediately risen to 446);
- reaching new groups of employees who’d not considered the option: in some offices there had been low levels of uptake, and here the rise was 30-50%.
“Due to the lower costs involved and number of locations for screening, many more employees in Capita have had the opportunity to take advantage of private healthcare,” says Lee Ruskin at Capita, “they really appreciated the openness and honesty of the roadshows. Bluecrest were there to show them how it all worked and explain the value.”
What did you learn and develop as a result?
Capita had found that many other of its health-related benefits providers, Private Medical Insurance etc, were pulling back from delivering roadshows and other communications events to the organisation. They’d found them a strain on resources and had moved to online-only communications.
“In healthcare there really needs to be the personal contact, it can’t just be done online. The visual impact of Bluecrest being seen in the offices and available to talk and provide examples was really important,” said Lee Ruskin.
“We have also seen how important it is to tailor testing to the individual as far as possible. Not all tests are relevant, you don’t need to get on a treadmill or have batteries of blood tests. It’s all about focus and getting to the root of any issues.”
Capita plans to use anonymised data from the first round of health screenings to identify key health issues for the organisation and by geographical area, and where future health initiatives and support should be focused and further tailor.
“We’ll be able to run health awareness schemes ahead of when benefits selections are made. We expect employees to want to see Bluecrest rather than drumming up interest.”
For more information please contact:
Mark Marriott, Director of Client Relationships
Mobile: 07976 648110