Thousands of people take part in the well-established Stoptober challenge to try and kick their smoking habit. And if you can last the month, you are five times more likely to stop for good. With health, family and money being the top reasons for people wanting to quit, there really is no time like the present. Once signed up to the event you receive an information pack and support throughout, including an app for your mobile you can keep with you at all times.
The health benefits of quitting smoking are no secret, with your risk of a heart attack beginning to fall after just one full day of not smoking and your risk of heart disease returning to the same levels as someone who doesn’t smoke after 15 years. On average, a non-smoker will live 14 years longer than a smoker and save £2000 – £3000 a year. It is the biggest preventable cause of cancer in the world and accounts for one in four UK cancer deaths.
The top ten benefits of quitting smoking are:
- More Energy: All physical activity, including walking and climbing stairs, will become easier!
- Protect your family: The dangers of passive smoking have become much clearer in the past few years.
- Improve smell and taste: Chemicals in cigarettes can dull your senses.
- Become stress-free: Scientific studies have proven that people feel less stressed once they have quit smoking.
- Whiter teeth: Smoking stains your teeth. Eurgh!
- Cost: You could save up to £3000 a year!
- Look younger: Stopping can slow down the ageing process!
- Improve fertility: Non-smokers find it easier to conceive.
- Smell better: Smelling of smoke is not attractive.
- Live Longer! Quitting can add years to your life.
And of course, you don’t need to wait for October to quit smoking. Read our handy tips to help a smoker quit here!